In honor of St. Patrick’s Day, which is one of my favorite holidays, I thought I would make some scones, and I wanted you to have the recipe in time for whatever parties or lazy brunches you might be having this weekend.
Don’t get too excited: These are not really Irish scones; for one thing, they’re gluten-free, and for another, they contain goji berries, which are evidently native to southeastern Europe and Asia. But get excited: They are deliciously awesome! And stupefyingly without wheat.
But before we get to that, I want you to know that I’ve always been a little sad that I’m not Irish. However, I think that I should be an honorary Irish Person. Being an English major, I can give you some very compelling reasons why:
- I was not raised Catholic or repeatedly punished by nuns in my youth…but I was raised Episcopal. Episcopalians (or Whiskeypalians as they’re known) take a fond view of mixing alcohol and religion, recite the Apostles Creed every Sunday, and do a fairly good job of laying on the guilt. Also, my uncle is a Catholic priest, so I’m kind of related to the Catholic Church.
- I have freckles.
- My mom makes a mean Irish soda bread.
- My favorite color is green.
- I love The Boondock Saints.
- My first full beer was a Guinness, and my first whiskey was Jameson’s. ‘Nuff said.
If I’ve offended anyone with my Irish stereotypes, I apologize. I just want to be one of you SO MUCH! Please like my scones.
Honestly, though, my St. Patty’s Day traditions include forgetting to wear green, eating wings at Dunleavy‘s whenever I’m in Charleston, and getting engaged (but that only happened once). I loooove to celebrate this holiday! Which is odd, considering how many times in elementary school I was traumatized by kids trying to pinch me because I’d forgotten to wear green. Every. Year. Fashion has never been my strong suit.
Gluten-Free Lemon Goji Berry Scones
- 1 3/4 cups gluten-free multipurpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp arrowroot flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup 1 stick cold butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup cold milk
- 1 tsp lemon extract
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest
- 1/2 cup goji berries
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Grease a divided scone pan, or grease (or line with parchment) a baking sheet. Zest lemon.
- Whisk together the flour or flour blend, sugar, baking powder, arrowroot flour, salt and lemon zest. Grate in the cold butter and then mix by hand until crumbly.
- Whisk together the eggs and milk till frothy. Mix in lemon extract. Add wet to dry ingredients, stirring till well blended. The dough should be cohesive and very sticky. Mix in goji berries.