The best recipe, in my opinion, is one that makes leftovers. Cook once, eat twice and all that. Not everyone agrees with me, specifically Mike, and he comes by it honestly: his dad hates leftovers and would rather eat a peanut butter sandwich.
Therefore, I’ve gotten really good at disguising leftovers in soup and burritos and pilafs and salads. One of my tricks for disguising leftovers is by turning them into breakfast. Who would ever suspect? Dinner leftovers for breakfast usually results in the kind of decadence you only get with brunch, so using leftovers ends up being a treat.
This is the perfect summer evening meal, with a fresh, light salad, an easy potato and a grilled steak that reduces time in the kitchen cleaning up. AND it makes leftovers for steak and eggs in the morning.
You know what to do with the steak and the eggs; I like to make a potato hash to go with them that includes diced mushrooms, onions, and red bell pepper seasoned with paprika, coriander, cayenne, and salt.
Steak with Balsamic Tomato Relish & Smashed Potatoes
- 1 lb. baby or fingerling potatoes
- sea salt and black pepper
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh chives
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 pint grape tomatoes
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 lb. grass-fed steak NY Strip
- Boil potatoes until tender. Drain, and then melt butter in the same pot on medium heat. Halve potatoes if large, then place in one layer in the pot and smash with a potato masher. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and chives. Cover and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, quarter tomatoes and combine in a skillet with sugar, vinegar, and salt, and pepper. Cook on medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until liquid is thickened, 6–8 minutes.
- Season steaks on both sides with salt and sugar, rubbing into the meat. Grill until done, about 4 minutes per side for medium-rare based on thickness. Top steak with balsamic tomato relish and serve with potatoes and Summer Salad.
Summer Veggie Salad
- 1 box grape tomatoes
- 3 pickling cucumbers
- 2 green bell peppers
- 2 spring onions
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
Apple Cider Vinaigrette
- 1 clove garlic
- juice of 1/2 lime
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Cut grape tomatoes in half and slice cucumbers, bell peppers, and spring onions. Chop parsley. Mix in a salad bowl.
- Mix vinaigrette ingredients. Dress salad and let marinate at least 30 minutes.